A few additions to my locomotive roster and a rebuild
Thanks for the thorough response! I may just have to try some next time I paint an engine...hopefully sooner than later, but we'll see.

I've always been an advocate for using black paint when painting a model that is actually black, or based on a prototype that was actually black. Black is black. Let weathering show the detail (dry brushing grime, etc.). I really don't care for the extreme weathering on locos such as John Pryke's engines, or another example might be Jack Burgess' Yosemite Valley RR. Way too gray for my taste. But I recognize it really is a personal preference, and if your engines never leave the layout room, or your lighting will never change, then I suppose it works.

On the other hand, I love the look of John Allen's steam fleet, and it's almost caricaturish in style. Go figure. I think he used a red or brown in his black.

This TLT warm black is the first 'off black' shade I've seen that I really like, at least the way your photos show. I'll have to get some and try it out.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread