Modifying a diesel (BR211 to M44)
Ah, back to the original topic: I have now two engines under construction at the same time. They are a little bit different. Exhibit number one is the brass scratchbuild with some parts of the Arnold BR 211.    

Exhibit number two shows us the results of some aggressive use of the dremel to remove all the unwanted parts of the body of the BR 211 model. As an added bonus you can see some tiny LEDs which were rather challenging to solder into place. Thanks to Wayne for suggesting that the metal might be much softer than I thought. It was!    

The main thing bugging me right now is the bogie with the coupler sticking way too far from under the body. Maybe I will just shorten it by removing the spring, attaching the coupler rigidly to the bogie and hoping the coupler will work adequately despite that.

Before building the rest of the engine, I guess I'll have to decide whether or not I will want to be able to disassemble the engine. A removable top may or may not be feasible to build (there is not enough room on the sides for the use of thick sheet plastic) Cleaning and lubricating the engine and keeping it in a clean place would probably make the need for ever opening it again fairly small and thus could allow me to fix the top in its place entirely.

Of course the project will be on hold a bit as I now have enough track laid on the layout to allow a little bit of driving around! Big Grin
-norm

Messages In This Thread