Glueing track down?
doctorwayne Wrote:The reason that I prefer spikes is that, until you ballast, the track can be easily adjusted, or, if necessary, moved or even removed. This is important if your track becomes misaligned as it adjusts to your layout area, and as trains are run over it. I left mine un-ballasted for several months as I made adjustments - mostly minor, but I did remove a crossover which proved un-needed.
Wayne
Cheers Cheers

The primary benefit of spiking, is the ability to make adjustments.
Once I reach the point where I can start a train running, walk away and come back after a few hours to find the train still running, I can begin ballasting, which makes the track position permanent.
The problem with "adjustments after gluing" is that in most cases, when removing even a small section of track, the sub roadbed can be damaged, which can result in a new problem at that location.
I'm getting old, and the techniques that have served me well all the years, have become "comfortable", so I'm not particularly amenable to learning new techniques to replace the comfortable ones. Gluing/spiking, each has its own "goods and evils". Choose what's "comfortable for you", and stick with it.(no pun intended) Misngth
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread