Ottawa, Algonquin & Georgian Bay
So here's where the "real" fiction begins... Wink

The CNR never had much of an interest in the hotel built by the Grand Trunk, nor were they enthused about supplying passenger service through the Park. It was highly seasonal, and mostly of a local nature in the "off-peak" season. With the Cache Lake trestle damaged in 1933, CNR thought it saw a way out of the passenger business, and indeed the local freight too. CNR figured that the loss of the route through southern Algonquin Park could be made up by the route through the north end (this one from the former Canadian Northern).

However, the people whose livelihood depended on the passenger service (i.e. the hotel) and the local freight (i.e. local industry) were of a different mind. Many of these business owners therefore got together with their community leaders and formed the Algonquin Highlands Transportation Co. This company repaired the trestle and began operating the Ottawa, Algonquin and Georgian Bay Railway.

At first, the OA&GB was intended to supply only passenger service, and a very small amount of truly local freight. CNR would continue to run through with the transhipped grain from Depot Harbour, and handle the timber trade. To this end, the OA&GB invested initially in a Mack Railbus. However, this soon proved inadequate and was supplemented with a gas-electric "Doodlebug". The Mack was restricted primarily to assisting with the tourist traffic that arrived from Toronto and other points south via Scotia Junction. The Doodlebug made regular runs from Depot Harbour to Ottawa (west on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, east on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (no service Sunday)).

The Doodlebug also hauled a boxcar on occasion, or a reefer, mainly to bring supplies to the hotel, although some goods were left at Ottawa or Scotia Junction for shipment further afield. This service proved popular, and industries other than timber were interested in more regular service, especially a flooring manufacturer that was left out of the timber and "through grain" service, but who also created more business than a single Doodlebug could haul.

Now was the time for the OA&GB to acquire a locomotive - 4-6-0 1337 leased from CNR. Following shortly thereafter, another loco - this time a 2-8-0 to handle the growing freight tonnage in the hills - and a small purchase and refit of CNR passenger cars to create OA&GB's "Colonization Road" series. The 4-6-0 would take over passenger duties.

This story then sets the scene for what I want to model. I have more that takes the OA&GB right to the present day (albeit in a "parallel" universe).

Andrew

Messages In This Thread