40 foot boxcar rebuild
Since it was raining and I couldn't work outside, I did a little boxcar project. Since I am going to model the late 1970s, I need to update my boxcar fleet. I didn't do much research, but have read various things about roofwalks being rmoved, ladders cut down, brake wheels lowered, doors being enlarged, side sills being reinforced...

BTW: CAUTION!!!

THREE FOOT RULE IS IN EFFECT! RIVET COUNTERS NEED NOT APPLY!

Here is a photo that gives an example:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1560962">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1560962</a><!-- m -->

I decided to take this SP Accurail boxcar and model it with half ladders, a larger door, straight side sills, and an open door on one side. The model has 6 foot doors which are molded into the body. I had built the car a couple of years ago, and lightly weathered it.

[Image: 01.jpg]

First, I took some styrene strip and glued it in the grove of the floor. I didn't have the right thickness, so I glued two strips in to get it above the floor height.

[Image: 02.jpg]

While the glue was drying, I took the Dremel tool and cut the doors out.

[Image: 03.jpg]

I used the Exacto knife to clean up the door openings which were widened to about 7.5 HO scale feet.

[Image: 08.jpg]

Used the hobby knife to scrape the plastic strip down so that it was level with the floor.

[Image: 04.jpg]

With a straight edge, I scored some lines in the floor to represent the boards. Didn't measure, didn't worry about making them perfect...

[Image: 05.jpg]

Then I painted the floor light gray and the lead weights black.

[Image: 06.jpg]

While the floor was drying, I glued the new door on one side. These are doors from Accurail that were purchased online. They make a pretty good assortment of doors you can buy.

continued...

[Image: 09.jpg]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread