Shortlines, Industries, and Empties
Gary S Wrote:All this is falling into place.

Let me make sure I have this right. If a customer of my shortline needs an empty, first thing we would do is check our storage track for one of our own empties.

Or a foreign road car that should head back in the general direction of the owning road, so you won't have to pay "incentive per diem" (IPD, or "per day rent") to the owner road to have the car on your road.

If that car is off your road at midnight, the RR who has the car on their road at midnight is the railroad which pays the per diem rent for the next day.

Provided you are modeling an era where railroads paid "per day" rent for foreign cars, of course.

Quote:If we didn't have a suitable car, we would look on our tracks for either a foreign road empty or a pool empty. The only way we could use the foreign road empty is if the load was going in the direction of the foreign road.

In theory the foreign car should always be routed back towards (or at least closer to) it's owner, according to a set of rules, but really - once it is off your railroad, it is really someone else's problem.

I am sure foreign cars sometimes got routed in whatever direction, if the railroad that had the car had a load and a shortage of other available cars.

Quote:The pool car could be used to send the goods anywhere, almost as if it was one of our own cars, the difference being we would have to share revenue with the pool car owner?

Mmm - I am not sure how the railroads paid for pool cars - if initial construction cost was split up among the participating railroads according to some predetermined formula, or it was a monthly or yearly subscription fee, or whether there was revenue sharing for each carload.

Anyone else knows ?

I also know that there is an excellent discussion of this in Tony Koester's book "Realistic Model Railroad Operations". Can e.g be bought from Amazon.com here (http://www.amazon.com/Realistic-Model-Ra...0890244189)

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread