Andrew's First Layout
Here is the construction thread for my son's very first layout. It's in N scale, and he's 5. A bit early for something so small, but I think he can handle it. He has always been ahead of the curve with regards to his fine motor skills & artistic ability. Plus, it'll be a great tool for teaching him responsibility, keeping his love of trains going strong, and it'll be fun for old Dad to build Wink . Enough jibber-jabber, here are two pictures of the benchwork, taken just this afternoon.

[albumimg]1586[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1587[/albumimg]

As you can see, the benchwork is a simple frame of 1x3s screwed together, with an MDF top glued & screwed in place. This fits down overtop an IKEA table we've had for about 8 years. It was our first dining room table, made for an apartment dweller. The top opens out to double in size, but in this case it'll stay folded over. It didn't really have a home in our current house so I'm glad to use it. Surface height is about 30". Dimensions of the benchwork are 26" x 42-3/4".

Up next, a track plan. Not sure when I can post that as I need some time to set it up when the kiddo is not around and I'm not at work. This will be a surprise from Santa, afterall. Well, Santa is providing the trains. He asked me to be his helper and build this layout. That's my Christmas present.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread