WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
I know I am getting way into this, but you guys have me thinking about the structural integrity of my building.

Found a study on connecting the rafter/ceiling joists/roof to the top plate which is typically toe-nailed and an accepted practice in building codes:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-324627/Testing-and-analysis-of-the.html">http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199 ... f-the.html</a><!-- m -->

Excerpt: "According to building codes, toenailed connections between lumber members are to be fabricated by either three 8d or two 16d and box or common nails. The connectors included 8d (0.113 in.) and 16d box (0.135 in.) nails, 16d common (0.162 in.) nails, and 2.5-inch drywall screws. All specimens prepared for testing were at controlled 12 percent moisture content"

So they also tested drywall screws...

Excerpt: ."According to the IBC code, all residential buildings in the United States are required to meet 85-mph designed wind loads; most of the states, in fact, require the buildings meet designed wind loads of 90 mph. Our test result shows that only toe-screwed connections, rather than toe-nailed, can meet the 90-mph wind uplift load."

and

"Our results have shown that when the toe-nailed connection is replaced by fasteners such as screws or metal straps, the connection capacity of all species would increase significantly."

So the screws made a stronger toe-nailed joint than the nails.

And from the data table, using SPF lumber, the 16d common nail connection failed on average at 518 pounds which was the strongest of any type of nail tested. But the 2.5 inch drywall screw connection failed at 816 pounds, significantly higher than any of the nails.

Anyway, I am still going to replace the little brittle drywall screws I used on the joist hangers with nails. I'm glad you guys brought up the discussion! My train building will be all the better for it.

Thanks!
Gary
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread