WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Gary S Wrote:In my internet searches on screws versus nails, most of what I found was anecdotal evidence that house framing is stronger with nails. This was from carpentry or builder forum discussions. Man, those guys get downright irate when someone asks if screws may be better than nails - "By God, I have been using nails for 20 years and the inspector passes it, therefore nails must be better than screws" and "What kind of ignoramous would use screws when everyone knows nails are better?"

This one guy had asked if there are any scientific tests which determined if nails were indeed better than screws. They went off on him big. Called him all kinds of names, etc. "Hey doofus, why do you need a scientific test? Every house I built was with nails so nails must be better."

Of course, the only evidence against the screws was the "drive it half way in and whack it with a hammer" test. I just don't see that as being a realistic test of the loads that a screw would be subjected to. And the scientific toenail test I mentioned above certainly suggests that screws may be better. And my little experiment did also. Anyway, I feel confident in the screws. Now... back to the building! The rain has moved out, it is clear and sunny, so time to get some work done!!!

See y'all later!
Gary Thumbsup

LOL!!! That post made me laugh. Just because of the comments you uncovered, which only proves my point earlier about discussions similar to this turning into a slug fest. I agree, the drive it in half way and whack it with a hammer is not an accurate test of strength. All the demonstrator has done is create a fulcrum or pivot for the hammer gain leverage against each type of fastner.

Messages In This Thread