New York Harbor Model Railroading
Stein, not a problem, I LOVE to talk about operations above almost anything else, mostly because I spend most of my time writing and researching it than I do modeling! That is probably the #1 reson the layout isn't done yet! My Friend Dave Ramos (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nyhrr.com">www.nyhrr.com</a><!-- w -->) built his layout o almost full operational staus in under 4 years, and his isn't that much different in scope and operation, and I have been in my house almost 8 years, and I started working on the layout almost immediately, and I am still not finished! Yes, I am a procrastinator! Thank God for friends like Dave who keep me going.

Anywho, I digress once again....

Here are some more construction photos -

This is the basement almost as soon as we moved in in 2002. As you can see, I wasted no time in plotting out the footprint of the layout -
[Image: 5_YARD_FRAME_OUT_20021.jpg]

In this one, we are now in 2006. As you can see, I did not make much progress! -
[Image: 1124.jpg]

OK, now we see progress! This is about 2008, and you can see the first pier. The others are just cardboard, suspended from the ceiling by masking tape! I did this to see if the all the piers I wanted would fit in the space I had, and still allow people to move in between them -
[Image: 726.JPG]

The next two photos show how I figured out the track in the yard without buying and wasting a whole lot of money on tunrouts (Pecos are NOT cheap!). It worked somewhat, but I still have a lot left over, since I have redesigned the yard a few times since -
[Image: Picture11.jpg]
[Image: 8_LV_YARD_TRACK_LAYOUT_11.jpg]

And lastly for now, someone on Wikipedia was nice enough to make this map, which just so happens to very nicely show exactly what I am modeling, and put it into context of where on the riverfront, so all you out-of-towners can get a better idea -
[Image: 2.png]

More as I find them, and next post we'll get into operations,

RAH

Messages In This Thread