Bringing the Royal Gorge & Southern to life
Quote:You mention different yard areas...can you show us what you have in mind?

When did I mention that?

I don't think that's meant to be a yard at all, but a stub passenger terminal. But then why do you need the double-track wye? You only need one of the two wye tracks; which one depends on whether you operate the terminal as head-in or back-in. Follow the movement of a train from the double main on the right, assuming right-hand running on that main, and you'll see what I mean.

To make it into a switchable freight yard, what I'd do is:
-Remove the track labelled "18".
-Remove the switch on the inside track at the top right.
Now I've removed the "head-in" wye and left the "back-in" one. The remaining upper track from the removed wye has now become a switching lead.
Only problem is, those yard tracks are rather short for mainline freights. The reason I chose "back-in" is because it removes the need for engine escape tracks, which would take up most of the space. But I don't think backing in is appropriate for a freight yard.

Okay, I guess this plan really isn't good for anything other than passenger service, unless you have more length for a better freight yard.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!

Messages In This Thread