Repower Athearn H0 CF-7
Wayne,
thank you for the hints and tips.
- I will try to find a flexible glue. I'm not sure if I understand the term "silicone sealant" correct. We use something like that in the bath e.g. to seal the bath tube. It is flexible but I'm not sure if it is a good enough glue to hold the motor in place. May be we have someone in the forum living in both worlds who can post a German brand name.(see my update below)
- The used Mashima motor has no brushes I could optimize.
- To do it without the flywheels is a real option. With todays good DCC controllers is the fly wheel less important. I will give it a try if all other fail and I have to rework the entire engine.

The A-Line system has another weak point. It is the universal coupling set. It is of very low precision. The noise reduced after I removed it, reworked it and reassembled it with some grease.

I did a lot of repowering of German engines in the past. I used most of the time kits from a German vendor with premounted motor-flywheel sets. They have been balanced prior shipping all the time. I do really wonder A-Line thinks they can omit that step and drop of glue will do it at the customers site.

Update 1
I did search the German Google and found silicon glue. It is flexible and used on glass, metal and so on. That sounds like the real stuff. Will go shopping this afternoon Thumbsup

Update 2
Got the silicone like glue. I put 0,04' card stock bands around the motor at each end to have a defined distance to the cradle. In between I did put the silicone glue. The card stock strips will be removed in some hours when the glue starts setting. It will set only 0,055' in 24 hours. We will see tomorrow...

[Image: cf71.jpg]
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread