Digitrax Zephyr "Blast Mode"
"Blast Mode"

You guys probably know this unwritten feature already, but thanks to a reply to my reprogramming problem posted on the digitrax tech forum from a more knowledgeable DCC'er, I learned how to reprogram the address of a Soundtraxx Tsunami engine from the factory default 03 to a four-digit number that matches the engine's road number. For those that don't know of this feature - which isn't written anywhere in the Zephyr's manual - all you do is change the Ops switch setting 07 from "T" thrown to "C" clear (or open). Then place ONLY the engine you need reprogrammed on the mainline (absolutely nothing else that can draw power), and follow the reprogramming directions as outlined in the manual. Remember, you MUST return the Ops switch 07 back to "T" after you're done. The manual covers how to change Ops switch settings, but doesn't list the 07 switch as a possible setting to adjust.

My problem was the Soundtraxx decoder pulling more amperage than the Zephyr could produce on the dedicated programming track. On the mainline, and in the OPS mode, it also didn't get enough signal duration to compete the renumbering process of CV17 and CV18 (needed to overwrite to a four-digit number) and CV29's setting to recognize the four-digit address instead of the two-digit. Soundtraxx suggested purchasing their power booster (approx $60) and the additional power pack that would be needed to power the booster ($$$). I posted my problem on the digitrax tech forum and thankfully, someone told me of this unwritten feature. It saved not only money, but solved the frustration of not being able to rewrite an engine from 03 to the 4-digit address I wanted. Changing that one Ops switch setting makes the whole layout a programming track, but at full power instead of the much lower power normally on the programming track. According to the tech rep at Soundtraxx I contacted, the Zephyr doesn't sent quite enough power to complete the write cycle on the Tsunami decoder. Other DCC units might not have this problem, but the Zephyr does. This simple procedure solves the problem.

Hope this helps someone using a Zephyr system. For more details including step-by-step instructions, you can contact me or see the digitrax tech forum on yahoo/groups. Do a search for "blast mode zephyr" and you'll find all the threads.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread