Bourbon Whiskey Distillery
Larry;

Friend took that photo of us crossing Bridge No. 3 from the Stagg line. One of those hardy souls on the front of the engine was me. In spite of its appearance, that bridge was a substantial structure and never worried us - can't say the same for some of the wooden trestles. I have photographs I took where Bridge No. 4 collapsed under a loaded covered hopper of corn on our way to Old Grand Dad one evening.

In the photo, the box car is one of the L&N Dual Airpac box cars for whiskey loading and the tank car contains grain alcohol for bottling as gin and/or vodka!

I too am a short line fanatic. Every one of them is indeed a down home thing and unique in its own right.

Ken;

Good find! I'm no good with German either, but some good photos. The one identified as "Tanks" was of course the grain elevator.

I took a ride over to Stamping Ground Friday afternoon and its all gone now! Not a trace of the distillery buildings that I could see from my truck. Only the F&C right of way can be seen, in fact the ROW is clearly visible (thanks to the snow) from either direction at Stamping Ground and many places along a couple of back roads between Switzer and Stamping Ground. There is a two story housing facility that has been constructed more or less on the site of the distillery building.

To answer your question - the track at the distillery was straight. It curved in from the West on the North side of town - stayed straight for little over a half mile after leaving town and then turned East and crossed KY Highway 227.

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread