Charlie b's layout
Charlie B Wrote:
tetters Wrote:Another 1:1 scale structure build! How exciting.

Are you going to get a proper pad poured for it?
That is the beauty of a pole building, you don't need a concrete floor, the poles are put in below the frost line and you don't even have to level the ground real well, you just have to start the siding level . The kit includes skirting to use where the siding is a little higher off the ground.
My legs can't take being on concrete for more than a few minutes so I am putting down a wood floor that will eventually have the soft rubber matting. (the floor will be up off the ground.)
I could have gotten the steel roof and siding a little cheaper, but that kit would only have trusses on 4 foot centers, and open steel will sweat to the point water drips, so I would have had to buy extra trusses, and with the wood/shingles there is a tiny bit more R factor.
I have figured 8 inches of insulation in the walls, which will be about R24 and blown in for the ceiling to about R40. There will be a vapor barrier under the floor too.
Charlie

Charlie, looks great. I just thought I'd mention to you that we put an Ikea floating "click type" floor in the master bedroom remodel. They use a foam material for an underlayment that is about 1/8 inch thick. We also used the same flooring in a dining room that we enlarged and eliminated slate flooring from the original construction. The rest of the house has hardwood flooring except the Bathrooms which have tile. You would not think that 1/8 inch of foam would make that much difference, but when you step from the existing hardwood to the floating floor, the difference is amazing. You might find that a floating floor has enough give that you don't need the rubber mats. By the way, our house is on a raised foundation. Newer construction out here is slab on grade, but our house was originally built in the 1950's. The sub floor on the new addition is plywood with the floating floor over the top.

Messages In This Thread