What dont you like about this hobby
steinjr Wrote:For some reason, I am starting to hear Tom Bergeron's voice in my head : "Today on versus - oppressive politically conservative, white male model railroaders vs Afro-American radically-liberal communist lesbian knitters"

Sounds like an interesting combination. Icon_lol

Grin,
Stein, who is considering whether farcical aquatic ceremonies might make a more interesting basis for government ....
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0

Maybe they can knit me a Light Mountain 2-8-2?

Funny how some people want to stereotype all modelers, and one in particular who believes that the majority of male modelers belong with the women.
Quote:think, more accurately, that 90% of the modelers, fit the above statement, there is a large number of attendees (read viewers) who more accurately fit the "women------cultures" group.

That is some strange thinking, to say the least. I constantly look for ways to enlist my wife's help in my modeling, since she has a better eye for colors and groupings than I do.

The commentaries about nostalgia are unnerving, s well. I get the impression that it is somehow considered to be some sort of derangement, yet these same modelers who condemn the rest are among the first to put Santa trains under their Christmas trees, organize Easter egg hunts and act like they believe in childrens' fairy tales. I'll take the nostalgia any time.

All of this is precisely one of the main reasons I do not belong to clubs and model on my own. I seek pleasure and enjoyment from what I do - not criticism and put-downs, nor comparisons to "lesbian knitting groups", which by logical extension would make male model railroad clubs "men's gay toy railroad groups", right?

What don't I like about the hobby? The attitudes thus far displayed by far too many.

Messages In This Thread