outdoor electric trains NOT battery rf controlled
OK, guys - set me straight on this -IIRC, pwm has been around in MRing since the days of the Commodore 64 and Bruce Chubb's original CMRI. Seems to me that "Transistor Throttles" for DC had a feature called "Pulse-Power", or some such, that used PWM to permit/promote slow speed operation with the old-tech motors by "showing" them a constant 12-14 volts max voltage variable duration pulse DC. While the result was fine slow speed performance, it made the motors noisy and caused excess heating. The controller circuits were then modified to "superimpose" the pulses on a variable DC base voltage, dialing the pulse out as the base voltage (speed control voltage) increased. This mitigated the problems, and the feature was (I think) fairly common in fancier throttles. Around that time also, think I remember a "Crud-Cutter" circuit with very high frequency AC added to the DC - CRS what voltage - to overcome rail oxidation/dirt...but it could not be used with GE's ASTRAC or(then new) DCC. Not saying it won't work, but there may be trouble fitting stuff that will handle these voltage/power levels into HO equipment, as well as the insulation issues for the powered units and operational short circuits (outdoors is an 'unclean" environment), which can quickly create small blobs of plastic and solder. Wish I had all my "used to have" issues of MR, RMC and others to nail this stuff down - but I don't , and won't bore you all with "Why?" ...and yeah, I'm THAT old ! :o Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."

Messages In This Thread