outdoor electric trains NOT battery rf controlled
update
made a pwm dc controller that uses 90v peak voltage with a 0-12v `driving range'

had a length of flextrack exposed (heavily) to weather (salt spray for several hours on the beach then a week outside without being cleaned in any way)

the pwm controller could drive a cheap hornby 040 loco back and forth over most of the track with only the `occasional' finger from god required

my ancient old (1980's) controller with pulse power (1/2 wave rectification) could make some progress only at full power and pulsepower on and required frequent pushing

pulse power off was no movement apart from the ocassional `burp' as it was pushed along

dcc wasn't tried as I have no dcc controller or dcc locos

still waiting for answers to emails sent to various ddc makers as to peak voltages their decoders will stand (I doubt any dcc controller could handle these peak voltages without mods tho)

I can't see any reason that garden running couldn't be feasible, trackwork would have to be up to par (but then I cant see why you couldnt use oversized track for reliablity)- 100kmh winds might be a problem but then why would you run outside in such conditions??)

it certainly opens back up both dc, and long haul ho loco strings
poopsie chicken tush

Messages In This Thread