Input on proposed HO switching layout
Hi all;

Finally getting around to starting work on my HO layout (first one in about 15 years) and am looking for input on this potential plan. The layout footprint is an existing 4 ft x 20 ft section of L-girder benchwork that has access on all four sides.

I'm a die hard fan of short line and industrial railroads - the smaller/shorter the better - and am constantly on the lookout for very small operations that can be reasonably modeled. As a former railroad employee - prototype operation is the main purpose of any layout I build and the layout must have good switching potential. My favorite era is the mid 1970's to mid 1980's when the IPD Short Line box cars were every where and graffiti and "paint-outs" were pretty much non-existent. My motive power will be the GE 45/50 ton locomotive (my favorite of all locomotives) and perfect for a small short line or switching operation.

One of several such very short operations that I've found is the Lapeer Industrial Railroad (LIRR) in Lapeer, Michigan (owned by the Adrian & Blissfield Railroad). The prototype operation couldn't be much simpler. Just 1.34 miles of an abandoned class I line, preserved to provide service to a couple of customers.

Here's a link to a Google Map of the LIRR in Lapeer, MI: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s...43259&z=15. The LIRR branches off southward by the "Lapeer Amtrak" station on the map. If you look closely in the satelitte view, you can see the LIRR's GE 65 ton sitting on the spur next to the large grain bin.

One feature of this line that caught my eye is how the spur serving Lapeer Grain is arranged on a sharp curve next to the LIRR's connecting track with the CN (former GTW). Soooooooooo - taking out my certified modelers license, I added a couple of industries and tracks - this is what I've come up with:

You'll notice right off that rather than use the entire available space - I have blocked off what will be the back portion of the layout space with a 24 inch high backdrop and will use the back area for "off-line" freight car storage and a workbench area. That will allow me to clean off my desk and make SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) happy.

The real LIRR has no run-around track, nor does it require one. The second industry on the real LIRR is located near the end of the line and switches from the same direction as Lapeer Grain. To increase operating potential, I added the siding, the team track/lumber yard spur and a second industry at the end of the line. This arrangement requires switching the industries from both directions and adds more interest to operations. Aerial views of the LIRR indicate there are at least two other large industries along the existing track, but are no longer rail served - so my addition of a couple more industries is believable, even if one of them faces the wrong direction.

I have no idea what the second industry on the real LIRR is, but aerial photos show tank cars spotted at the building. Not sure what my two industries at the end of the "main line" will be, but whatever they end up being, one or both of them will receive a lot of 50 foot box cars!

I probably won't call this layout the Lapeer Industrial Railroad (it didn't exist in my modeling era), nor base it in Michigan, so ultimately it will be freelance, but based on a prototype.

Some notes about the track plan and operation:
1) The switch on the CN/GTW main line (upper left corner) is strictly for looks as is the connecting "main track". I'll probably have a dummy connecting line locomotive and a few cars "passing by" for scenic effect.
2) The dashed line (lower left corner) is the roadbed where the line used to cross the CN/GTW. It will still have some ballast and a few ties buried in it.
3) The interchange track can hold 4 or 5 - 50 foot cars and like a prototype operation of this kind, daily interchange would be any where from 1 to 5 cars at a time. Thus, not every industry would necessarily be switched every day.
4) As on a prototype railroad, each industry will have specific spots for various inbound/outbound cars, often requiring some cars to be re-spotted while others are placed or pulled.
5) Operation will probably be the tried and true car-cards, although I do have a computer switch list generating program that I may use - if I can get it to work right!

I am working on a plan that would use both sides of the benchwork for a short line railroad based on the now abandoned Warrenton Railroad. By increasing one end of the benchwork to 5 feet in width and having a 24 inch radius turn back - it would give me a 'U' shape main line run with the interchange at Warren Plains on one side and the town of Warrenton on the other. But since I'm getting eager to get something up and running that can reach a completed look in a short time, I may just go with this plan.

Appreciate your thoughts and input.

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread