To DCC, or to not DCC
Steamtrains Wrote:I bought my D'trax Zephyr for $160... Finally, I've chosen to leave a few that won't ever have a decoder put in them (old...not so good locos), but that I like to run now and then, just for ol' times' sake. That's why I decided to do a DC/DCC setup. With the flip of a switch I can run these ol' timers for a few laps, and then back they go to their storage tracks....
But see, that's already the beauty of the Digitrax Zephyr... It will run ONE DC loco anytime ALONG with the DCC locomotives. You DON'T have to convert the ones you don't want to as long as you use the OO address for running them.
The negatives to that are that DC locomotives will buzz on a DCC system and can be damaging if left on the tracks to sit idle and buzz for a long time. The Zephyr also won't remember throttle settings when switching between engines, soooo, while it can do it, running multiple engines simultaneously can be a pain. That's why I use a DT400R hand held in addition to my Zephyr. Live and learn. If I could go back and do it again, I'd go with the NCE Powercab.
I know you said that you have no interest in sound and neither did I... until I had the chance to play with one and then there was no turning back. I've now got 7 sound equipped locomotives. If you like, I can bring over my Zephyr and Blackstone one of these days.

Messages In This Thread