Building and detailing a mountain
Gary S Wrote:So you stick the skewers down through all the layers of foam? And how long do you let the glue dry before proceeding with the painting and all? Reason for all the questions is that I will be needing to glue some faom to foam on my layout too. Of course, not nearly as much height as yours! On the Elmers, I have found it takes forever to dry when glueing two non-water absorbing pieces together. But I see that the skewers would hold everything in place while the glue dries, even if it takes a few days.

Gary,

White or yellow (PVC) glue requires air to cure (dry). Once the edges are dry, it takes a very long time - if ever - for the centre to cure.

You might want to try the polyurethane glues ("Gorilla") that cure in the presence of moisture. Normally it would draw moisture from the air or porous material like wood. When gluing foam together, you can lightly mist one piece before putting them together. This little bit of water allows the glue to cure, and if the outside dries first, it doesn't matter.

The glue does foam a bit, so the skewers and weights are a good idea to maintain alignment. But the glue will cure, and then is carvable much like the foam itself.

An alternative is to use caulking - a latex, paintable one is best.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread