Homasote implementation
ocalicreek Wrote:Still, was the material you used actual homasote or some generic fiber board? I'm using a ceiling tile type fiber board for my roadbed, laminating it to a 5/8" ply subroadbed/layout base with Elmer's yellow glue, then attaching the track with adhesive latex caulk. It's not very dense and doesn't hold track nails that well which is fine since I'm attaching the track with the caulk. I'm not sure how it'll do once I ballast but I'm hoping/risking/guessing it won't cause any trouble.

Galen
Yep, it's the genuine Homasote! No question about it. I've never tried using anything else. I've seen folks use ceiling tile and other types of fiberboard like you mention, but never gave that a try. Homasote will certainly hold track spikes very well. On that test track, I spiked down the piece of Shinohara HOn3 flex track using code 70 spikes, 2 every 8 or 10 ties and even though the Homasote warped like it did, the track didn't move and after all this time is still solidly held to the base.

I'll give my experiment a try, maybe tonight as I'm very curious to see what, if anything will happen. Have to decide how to spray or brush water on the underside in a way that would more or less duplicate the original steps when it was constructed.

Incidentally, I always laminated my Homasote to plywood using contact cement. Light coat on each piece, position it and press down. Then I'd walk over it to make sure it was all making contact and was good to go! I've got a couple of small pieces of that combination still laying around, done over 15 years ago and you can't separate the Homasote from the plywood to save your life!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread