Model Railroad Paint
For more years than I care to admit to, I had used Floquil paint. I appreciated the extra-fine ground pigment that allowed full coverage when airbrushing without burying such fine details as rivets, window gaskets, molded wood grain, etc. Thumbsup

After returning to the hobby after a 20-year hiatus, I find that Testors, the "paint for plastic model cars/trucks/military models/rock-and-roll idol-worship figure kits" had bought out Floquil when I wasn't paying attention (and could have bought up a sufficient quantity of back-stock of my most-often-used colors and half-a-dozen gallon cans of DioSol,) and has now bastardized what IMHO was the premier paint line in the hobby and turned it into a wimpy handful of nebbish colors (that as far as I can tell are just re-labelled jars of their general line of model paints) that the EPA and OSHA can hold up as a prime example of the results of Government Intervention, and their efforts to protect the people from themselves, no matter what it does to the quality or usability of the final product!

[Yes, I know that was a long sentence, but I had to get that out of my system! Curse Curse Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang ]

I also used Scale coat on the occasions when it was requested, back in the mid-seventies when billed myself as "The Backshop" and painted Brass Locomotives for "Discerning Model Railroaders" in the Philadelphia area. I understand that line of paint has been OSHA'd as well.

So ... what paints are all you guys using now, what are your impressions of the different brands you use and why do you choose the brand you use over competing brands of model railroad paint ... you know what I mean -- the kind with fine-ground pigment that doesn't hide delicate detail?

Thank you, one and all! Thumbsup Cheers

I look forward to your responses since I will need paint to complete my 2010 Summer Structure Challenge!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread