A rebuild is underway!....
........at least on paper. I have grown to admit that my current layout, while fairly large has it's issues and I am determined to rectify these and have a go at the tear down/reconstruction. My current layout has 2 main flaws. Too much hidden trackage: hard to clean and maintain. Too long a reach in some areas making it very difficult to scenic well. I have drawn and redrawn a bunch of layout configurations before settling on really the only way I can make this work in such a strange space.

The area comprises 16 feet x 31 feet. It must deal with an "L" shaped area and a support column. I'm settling on 3 extra long passing sidings to give the illusion of double track.

I sketched out the layout's configuration and drew in major tracks. The railroad will consist of 3 sections each with its own "blob" shaped ends to allow turn back curves on each. This should give a decent mainline run and allow for continuous running.

The way I am envisioning this is such: A train can leave the freight yard heading west through a gritty urban city scene and progress to the middle section after passing through farmlands. The middle section will have a double sided back drop down the middle and pass a small town, through a mountain tunnel and another small town on the other side before heading on to the 3rd (left hand section). This will be a coastal area before turning into a hilly rural area. This section also has to deal with the support column which may have to be hidden with another double sided backdrop.

I didn't draw in any other sidings or spurs at this point. I want to avoid big industry and concentrate on smaller lineside industries that can be switched along the way. I drew in a possible configuration for an engine terminal and a very basic freight yard. The yard measures about 10 feet long and will need to have an ice house and icing track as well. I would like to incorporate an interchange but don't have any ideas for such at this point.

Please feel free to jump in with criticisms, ideas and suggestions!

[Image: RRrebuildoccupyingspace.jpg]

Matt

Messages In This Thread