Team Track Industry
Mr Fixit Wrote:Hi FCIN
Thanks for posting these photos of the Effingham Railroad TQW Crossdock Facility as it was your post which brought me to Big Blue when I did a Google search of EFRR just recently. I am in the process of modelling the EFRR and I have been researching the EFRR for a number of years now. I knew about the Crossdock from the EFRR map but had never seen any photos. You have filled in a key segment of my knowledge of the railroad, so a very big thanks to you.

Mark
Melbourne Australia
Hi Mark. Sorry I didn't see this sooner - haven't been getting on here much lately, but be that as it may - you're quite welcome. Always thought the TQW crossdock in Effingham was a perfect "model railroad size" structure and may yet use it on my layout.

I too, have considered modeling the EFRR, even though it would have to be straightened out considerably to include all the trackage and in that regard I feel it loses something. Every layout I've ever designed is always based on prototype track arrangements and if I can't get it just right, I tend to abandon the concept. Do have a track plan around here someplace that I drew up. The EFRR would make for an interesting operation.

I first visited the EFRR when the line had just started and consisted of only about 700 feet of track running from the CR (now CSXT) switch, past the crossdock structure and dead ended. That was the only time I ever managed to get photos of their beautiful SW1200 as it was kept outside until the large TQW warehouse was built. Loco is kept inside that structure now.

Operations have grown considerably since then (1996). I go by there about once a year going to or coming from Missouri and have never caught them working. Some of their customers have come and gone - specifically Krispy Kreme Donuts (now Harlan Bakeries) and Bunge Corp (now Hodgson Mill). Was out there this past summer and looked like most of the trackage was being used for car storage! There were a couple of covered hoppers at Harlan Bakeries, so that's a good thing.

They also operate the nearby Illinois Western Railroad in Greenville, IL, which, like the EFRR when it started, only consists right now of a short dead end spur. Not sure if that operation will ever get really going, as the industrial park there is not exactly taking off. Will have to say that I love that CGW paint scheme used on both their locomotives!

I'll be very interested in seeing how your EFRR layout comes along.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread