La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress
ahhhh ha! Thanks Justin, you are right Misngth

Kurt, another question for ya. I want to make some of the structures out of Hydrocal just as you did for a couple of yours. I think this would be the best and easiest way to go for some of the structures I need to make for this switching layout. I got this from page 1 of your thread:

cnw1961 Wrote:To make it cheap and easy, I used styrene to make the molds. Before I poured hydrocal into the molds, I applied vaseline to the molds with a stiff paintbrush. It was no problem then to remove the castings from the mold.

[Image: m6.jpg]

The next picture shows three of the castings I made the big structure of.

[Image: m5.jpg]

Now when you did your plastic mold, did you start with one sheet and then just stack sheets on top of each other to get the raised features? How about the dock door? Did you make a box and then glue it to the sheet? What size styrene would you recommend that I make my mold out of? Would Woodland Scenics Lightweight Hydrocal work for casting?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first time ive ever attempted to make anything from hyrdocal lol

This is the first structure I am going to make. Its kinda hard to see, but this structure has the same vertical sections that stick out from the rest of the structure just a little bit

[Image: Picture4.png]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread