La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress
cnw1961 Wrote:Josh, I don’t know what brand my corrugated styrene is. I don’t order it online, I get it at an architectural model supply here. But I guess this stuff is all the same, no matter where you get it from.

Russ had some good points there. WS Hydrocal is expensive and there are lots of suppliers that offer casting plaster that is better and cheaper. Next time I won’t use WS Hydrocal, I found a better source myself. To lay screen in the middle of the molds is another good adice. It will make the castings much stronger. Though it is not necessary if you build your structures like I built mine. I built a sub-structure from .120" cardboard and glued the castings to it. Makes assembling a structure much easier, especailly if you are putting long walls together from several castings. Structures built this way are quite sturdy, a real advantage if you have to move them often. You still have to be careful not to hit anything with your structure when moving it around. It is esay to damage hydrocal especially at the corners of the structure.

Here is an article you may find interesting. It shows a different approach to making molds. http://trainweb.org/crocon/pcoquet/scrat...ticle.html

Kurt, thanks for the link and the additional pictures! Instead of using .120 cardboard, i think ill use Masonite. I can get a large 4x8' sheet and just cut what I need for structure backs on the table saw. That should really help strengthen the structure, although your right, any bumps to the structure will probably chip or break it so I will have to make sure I am extra careful when moving them around lol.

Im really exited for this project, and cant wait to get the plastic in to make a mold! Now we play the waiting game for the order to come in from Walthers lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread