Steam...
Combat, I'm always glad to help.

What I mean by "stupid" is that they'll perform very poorly around 18 and 22" radius curves, they'll hang WAY over the centerline of the track, possibly taking out lineside scenery (I know this one from first hand experience) The manufacturers say the whole 18" radius thing so they will attract the gullible...er.."first time buyer" No steam locomotive larger than a 2-8-2 should run on any curve sharper than 30" radius.

Large steam isn't all it's cracked up to be either. The Rondhouse 4-4-0 can outpull most of the larger steamers thanks to a well-balanced design and traction tires.

I myself am a fan of small steam. What's more appealing to watch: One large steamer squealing and jerking around 22" radius curves, derailing if your track is even a small bit out of line, or....

Two small steam locomotives double heading up a grade with a long consist of cars?

All of the predecessor roads of the BN (NP, GN, SP&S, CB&Q) all had VERY distinctive steam locomotives with unmistakable traits.

The GN was a fan of the Belpaire square firebox, like the PRR, but used oil burning steamers.
The NP has a distinctive high headlight, among other features which could be recreated with some kitbashing.
The CB&Q had a wide variety of interesting steam locomotives, but like the SP&S, they're all too distinctive to model easily.

Nobody has produced a good looking GN, NP or CB&Q locomotive. With ONE notable exception that may just be the way to go! Look at the BLI heavy mikado here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.broadway-limited.com/catalog/BLI_USRA_Heavy_Mikado_2_8_2_HO-1811-1.html">http://www.broadway-limited.com/catalog ... 811-1.html</a><!-- m -->
I would personally purchase the CB&Q model, as it's the only correct one of the bunch.

The Santa Fe models of steam locomotives fall into three catagories:
-Freelanced crap produced to cash in on the ATSF craze (Think warbonnet F7's and lionel)
-Prototypically correct, but REALLY oddball locomotives, like the Proto 2000 heritage ex-NW Y6b 2-8-8-2's that the ATSF had for 5 minutes before retiring them shortly after WW1 ended. Another example is the Bachmann spectrum 2-10-0 that the ATSF owned a single locomotive second hand after merging with the Kansas City, New Mexico & Orient.
- Models that are either too old to have been produced with sound or even too old to have been equipped with a can motor or nickel-silver wheelsets (Like the MDC Roundhouse 4-4-2/2-6-2/2-8-0)

Hope this helps!

Messages In This Thread