Steam...
Combat,
I have a Bachmann GS-4 and a Spectrum J (also a 4-8-4). I have never had any problems with either of them on 22"R curves. I had tunnel portals on 22" curves and never experienced a problem. Frankly, I've never seen a model railroad curve that I didn't think looked stupid...because they are always WAY too sharp. I do prefer wider curves...but I'd have no problem running a 4-12-2 around 22" curves if I didn't have space for wider curves...and I'd enjoy it!

The tightest curve a Van Swearigan berk could handle in real life is 288'...which works out to around 40" in HO. You will find no curve anywhere close to that on a standard gauge, mainline railroad. Further, those berks could negotiate tighter curves (by far) than any 4-8-4s. Not only did they have a shorter rigid than almost any 4-8-4 ever built, but they were also equipped with lateral motion devices.

Having eye witnessed mainline steam locomotives negotiating their min curve radii...it is a sight to behold. I have seen flexible piping break. Another common one is for a locomotive to slip like you didn't believe to be possible...even if it is only pulling itself. One such incident (I wasn't there) was when the NKP 765 (the 3rd most prolific excursion locomotive in the US) easily negotiated a wye, followed by the N&W 611 (a huge 4-8-4) nearly unable to make it around the wye. I've seen the Milwaukee Road 261 (a 4-8-4 which has hauled BNSF employee appreciation specials) slip itself silly on the wye at Hinton, WV. I'm sure that anyone else on here with much experience around excursion locomotives has similar stories.

Here are a few locomotives (off the top of my head) that may interest you:
-As mentioned, their are 2-3 Southern Pacific 4-6-2s in the bay area which run. I don't think that they're USRA engines...so they probably aren't available in plastic/die cast.
-Southern Pacific 4449...aka the Daylight...which was painted up for BNSF during one of the times she pulled BNSF employee appreciation specials. She is available in every scale on the cheap side of brass
-SP&S 700...a roundhouse mate to the 4449 (Portland, OR). She was restored in 1990...but I don't think she's pulled any BNSF E.A.Ss...suffers from being available in brass only...also a 4-8-4.
-AT&SF 3751...San Bernadino, CA's finest resident. I believe she's been used on the BNSF EASs....a 4-8-4...available in plastic/diecast
-the two UP engines...but you mentioned that you aren't interested in them (but available in plastic).
-Frisco 1522...a very fine group with the worst of luck...1986-2002...don't know how close she is to USRA...which B-man offers in plastic.
-The CP Royal hudson ought to exist in plastic, but doesn't. ---deleted reason why she is parked to avoid arguments---
-The Soo Line 2-8-2 and 4-6-2

A Burlington 2-8-2 did operate at Grand Canyon RR...as did a couple LS&I 2-8-0s...but they've been parked recently.
The Illinois RR Museum picked up a Burlington 4-6-4 a few years ago in supposedly operational condition...but I don't think she's run. They also have a Russian Decapod which I've seen run...B-man offers one in plastic.

Perhaps the best candidate after the 4449 is IHC's 2-6-0. While they offer here in 200 or so roadnames, she's actually a model of a Southern Pacific locomotive. One of them is running in Colorado. She's a cheap model...but looks great and runs well.

Typically, for mainline excursions, a locomotive needs to be a 2-8-4, 4-8-4, or a 4-8-2. 4-6-2s don't have the tractive effort to pull major excursions...2-8-2s are too slow with a long enough train...but 4-6-2s and 2-8-2s are great for operating on lesser routes (such as shortlines). The lone 2-10-4 which I can recall having been run as an excursion engine, suffered from having too small of drivers for the task (an AT&SF 2-10-4 would be great...or a C&O/PRR if any were left Sad ). Hudsons would vary...the biggest would be fine for mainlines, the smallest might stuggle with the trains. Engines bigger than 4-8-4s (or the N&W 611) are too big for anyone but the actual railroads to run due to operational restrictions. Railroads can run whatever they'd like...as evidenced by the Challenger, N&W class A, and N&W class J (J's are some of the biggest 4-8-4s...and have MANY operational restrictions). That is why there are typically two classes of restored locomotives: big, mainline steam (261, 844, 765, 3751, etc) and smaller steam (the 4-6-2s, 2-8-0s, 0-4-0s...)
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread