Ralph's Layout Self-improvement Blog
Ralph Wrote:A little farther down the line...

[Image: IMG_1868.jpg]
I like the little collection of buildings that make the business district of West Mill and I like the grade crossing. I've added some signs to the buildings but I may have over done it with the enormous ice cream cone on the small grocery store and the billboard supports could be more realistic for all of the signs.

[Image: IMG_1867.jpg]
I'm fairly happy with this section. I like the forest of trees and the farm scenery. That cheap plastic barn has got to go though. I would like to scratchbuild a good looking barn...perhaps one that has started to deteriorate. I need to install a tunnel portal on the far left. The swimming pool will remain forever as it was a gift from my Godson and I like it!. Smile The house was a kitbash of mine. Not bad. Could use some details.....

Ralph, a number of things stand out in these scenes that I think you could fix pretty easily. These are all intended to be constructive and amiable observations, not at all meant to insult your pretty awesome modeling!

First of all, the poolhouse needs a coat of primer and some pastel-colored 1950's paint. (Cheery Yellow or Charcoal Gray, or Turquoise anyone? with white trim to match) The House should similarly be primered and painted to remove the plastic and glue sheen. The pool is good as-is.

Second of all, I'd redesign the town where your grocery store is to have the buildings climb uphill with a wider road, I doubt any main street would be that narrow! A long term project would be minimizing the use of retaining walls and sheer cliffs if you can manage it, but that may prove overly difficult without a serious re-work.

I'd obscure the crude back-ends of the Baseball grandstands with low trees and perhaps a fence.

With the massive hudson cement plant nearby, wouldn't a more interesting small industry (like say a machine shop, implement dealer, carpentry shop, appliance manufacturer, tannery, or similar) add some more interest and not compete with the HC-plant?

As a final note, I'd seriously, and instantly remove all hot-wheels and those Vapid and ugly Bachmann 70's cars from your layout, they distract the eye with their gaudy colors and complete lack of detail. In some cases no vehicles are better than some. Then slowly begin to purchase newer, more detailed autos. I did the same thing myself couple of years ago and never regretted it. (Plus those Botchmann cars make excellent junkyard cars with their glass busted out!)

I hope this helps, let me know what you think. Your layout has SO much potential, and is already "slap-fantastic" as Deano says. Cheers

Also, to add interest, why not have the bridge be an over-pass into the flour mill?

Messages In This Thread