Ralph's Layout Self-improvement Blog
Thanks Gary! I thought about putting guys on the roof of Blue Ribbon Flour but it seemed too high. After trying a few mock ups I decided I liked having a taller structure behind the ball field. I've done a little more work on this area before planning to move on to other parts of the layout. I decided the ball field needed lights. After looking up images of stadium lights I scratchbuilt three sets from cheap materials I had on hand. (Coffee stir sticks, plastic yarn needle work sheet, clear sequins, wire, and little wooden cubes). Some of these materials were from Michaels Crafts store and were used for other projects. I bought the sequins just the other day after considering various materials to represent large light bulbs.

[Image: IMG_1986.jpg]

Those of you who know my work are aware that I am not, and don't try to be, a fine scale modeler. I have the greatest admiration for those who might create an HO scale ball field light tower using etched brass parts and scale light fixtures. Worship Worship Worship I'm more of an "impressionist", however, and enjoy using inexpensive everyday items that suggest what I am trying to model. The results from the above materials...

[Image: IMG_1987.jpg]

...and how they look on the layout...

[Image: IMG_1988.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1989.jpg]

I'll go back sometime and attempt to make some ball players from unpainted figures and perhaps see what other details might be added to the overall scene. Now I want to move on and get to work on the Canton box Co. that was supposed to be my Structure Challenge entry :oops: and I also want to redo my small Redy-Mix company.

Meanwhile, as teams approach the post-seaons playoffs...PLAY BALL! (even at night in Kings Port) Goldth

Ralph

Messages In This Thread