GEC's roster thread
Bought new

My early Conrail roster surprisingly doesn't really include much in the way of "new" Conrail units. While some models i own could technically fit here, they are painted for more modern times, and so i've left them out for now.

The GP15-1s were Conrail's attempt to get a new local road switcher to replace the ancient 1st generation EMDs and Alco switchers. 100 of the engines were bought, the Second largest order of the units. they are mechanically similar to the MP15 switcher, though with a Road switcher body. These engines arrived in 1979, pushing Conrail's F-units into retirement and taking their 1600 series road numbers. There are also one of the few EMD units whose number actually corresponds to their horsepower rating (1,500 horsepower).

EMD intentionally began to number their engines in their own pattern rather than their actual HP in order to pull sales from GE (and to an extent Alco who also named their engines based on Horsepower). Except for early units like the GP7/9 (and equivalents), EMD did number their locomotives by horsepower (a GP18 had 1,800 HP, an SD24 had 2,400 HP). That is, until the GE U25B came along. For example, the GP30 and U25B were direct competitors. While the U25B was actually the most powerful 4-axle unit when it was introduced, at 2,500 HP. the GP30 only had 2,250 HP, but the higher number of "30" was thought to make it seem superior to the U25B. Since then, (except for the GP15), EMD's road switchers have been numbered by "tens", with modifications resulting in different number irrelevant to their horsepower ratings.

[Image: earlyconrailroster81210.jpg]

Another interesting Conrail purchase was E8A #4020 in 1983. This is actually not the original conrail 4020, as that unit (and all other conrail E8s except one) had already been sold or retired several years prior. The Office Car Special 4020 (as well as 4021) were both former Amtrak E8s, Originally of the PRR locomotives. Of the three OCS E8s, only one is a Conrail original, 4022, which is a former Erie E8 (as were the original Conrail 4020 and 4021). 4020 and 4021 are now in their original PRR colors, though i'm not sure of the current fate of 4022, though it was still in Conrail OCS paint as of 2006.

[Image: earlyconrailroster81210q.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread