GEC's roster thread
rrinker Wrote:9168 is a fantasy, never a Reading car. It was NYC M499, then PC99 and through a few other owners before landing on the RBMN and ending up 9168.
--Randy

Well, that explains a lot. I thought i saw 9168 on a roster somewhere, but i can't find it now. well, gonna have to find something to do with this then. the only other similar cars have totally different ends on them.

P5se Camelback Wrote:But, good Lord, GEC you've got so much motive power ... can you have them all physically on the layout at the same time? I mean PRR, RDG, PC, SEPTA, NJTransit, Conrail ... sounds like a scheduling and maintenance nightmare ... and probably more than a couple display shelves.

I've been collecting over the years, and i never get rid of anything. When i was young,i'd buy anything cool, then i switched to sticking to the Northeast (conrail, NJT, Amtrak), but then i couldn't settle on a time frame. I wanted to model what i knew, but GG1s, E44s, and that early conrail period caught my attention. While i now stick to that early conrail period (which most of my conrail roster works with), I still buy both time periods. my last big purchase saw three modern SEPTA cars and a Lehigh Valley RS2. before that, i purchased an Amtrak GG1 and a power frame for the ALP46 engine of today. I think though, that i am doing a better jobo of sticking to my time period. I no longer own a Penn Central unit, but i DID have one E44 that came painted that way, but i stripped it. That is an Alco brass model and i don't tend to count it in my roster, since compared to my Alphas, it looks ridiculous.

I don't have to much scheduling issues, if i want to run a U23B instead of my GP40-2, i just swap them out. Maintenance isn't a problem because a lot of stuff doesn't have DCC decoders in them yet, and so they don't run. Most of my operating fleet of engines are high-end Atlas, Broadway Limited, and nicer Athearns.

The real problem is getting everything up to date. many engines i have are really nice (my P2k SD9 comes to mind), but i don't have a decoder for it so it doesn't go anywhere. Half my fleet of 70 "operating" engines ( I have more locomotives that are outdated, ancient, or beyond repair that i don't count).

I don't think they'd all fit. Here is a picture of just all the electrics i owned back in 2006 (not counting my now larger fleet). There are more metroliners and some stuff that is so far back all you can see is the pantograph.

[Image: 122307010.jpg]

Quote:I have a pair of the old Walthers mP54 kits (an early one in a grey and white striped box - powered by a very low-tech Hyatt power truck - and the second, newer one in a blue and white striped box) ... but I never did measure them and compare them against dimensioned drawings. In what areas are they out of scale ... just so I can be critical the next time I open the boxes and unwrap the layers of tissue? Big Grin 8-)

LOL, yeah, i have the gray and white boxed ones. For one thing, they are too long (by a lot, they're MP54s because they are 54 feet long). the Rivets are all wrong, they lack side vents, the sides are disproportionate. They don't look bad when they are built if you do a good job, but compared to scale pieces, they can't match. which sucked, i thought i'd run myself a 4 car set of MP54s.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread