getting back into MRR
already decided after running these bachmans- like the looks, but the quality varies between units from the factory

wildly different speeds and surprisingly noise- the noisy one was slow- so brainbox here thunks- hmm noisy- slow- friction

applied several drops of sewing machine oil from a pin to visible cogs and...

OMFG- its quiet and now twice the speed!!!

tries with other loco-
little bit quieter and little bit faster- but on an circle of unitrack these two now chased each other for almost ten minutes before the quicker one caught the slower one on dc

will be interesting to see if this continues to be true as I aquire more
sugests to me that bachman q/c isnt the best (also the two `headlights' are visibly different in brightness)

both will be ripped out and replaced with something better- yellow leds do NOT look like headlights- these things I wont even be reusing as roof beacons- too dull too `dim yellow'
sighs - never happy- buy two locos and get them this afternoon - already want to rip out the headlights and fit better ones, take off the funny `sloppy smokestack' and fit a vertical chrome stack and of course repaint in correct colours for our local mill (well the last couple I spose I cant blame bachman for...)

And the amount of black crud that appeared on the track and wheels within a few laps was amazing- I dont remember the older stuff doing this??
(or maybe I just never noticed) but the first few dozen laps was run/wipe wheels and rails/ run/ wipe wheels and rails/ run.....
poopsie chicken tush

Messages In This Thread