L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Brakie Wrote:Ed,I like version 2 far better since it follows prototype practices instead of the much accepted ISL planing where every move must be complicated or some type of puzzle (...)
Larry;

I certainly agree with your views, which was one reason that I did a version 2 of the plan. Having spent many a night working industries or locations with all facing points switches and where each car had to be placed at a specific spot, I know there is plenty of "operation" to be found on such a track arrangements, without the need to add moves. I know that whenever possible, we'd let gravity do the work rather than make a long runaround move to spot a car (not too practical on a model railroad). Anyway, since my layout is/was intended to be an industrial spur, you've got me reconsidering things again Eek.

After temporarily laying out the track as in my "final" version 3 plan, the long runaround track just seems like wasted space that adds additional moves that really wouldn't/shouldn't be necessary on such a short rail spur (less than 1/2 mile in length). Elimination of the siding allows for one more industry, without filling every available space with track while still leaving plenty of scenery areas. Regardless, I will put some very broad curves in the final track plan, to break up the straight line look. Industrial spurs very often tend to wander around some for one reason or another and it does make the "main" look a bit longer.

As far as switching puzzles - I've never liked that concept or the switchback type industries I often see drawn on track plans, that supposedly add operating interest, but actually just add frustration.

Based on both actual experience and spending many (too many?) an hour on Bing or Google Maps looking at industrial spurs around the country - it is very rare to find one of similar length with a runaround track, although there are some. Even spurs that I found that really interested me and that had sidings running off in both directions, usually did not have a runaround.

We switched a 2 mile branch on the L&N that had spurs running off it in both directions and no runaround on it. We had to line up our train with cars on both ends of the engine and then shove out the branch with the caboose in the lead. Needless to say, it was an interesting branch to work, not that I'd want to try and duplicate that branch or type of operation.

I have stated that with the runaround track, the layout could be operated as different themes, but not sure that I'd actually do that in the long run. Since switching and prototype operations are my main interest, the industrial spur theme works for me. Even though you'd have your cars blocked for specific industries when you enter the spur, you have to spot the cars at specific locations based on what the customer wants, and not just shove a cut of cars into the industry and go on your merry way.

Since I realized that I'm getting the cart in front of the horse by wanting to start laying the track, before I put up the much needed backdrop, I'm going to have to think this through a little more and do a little more temporary track positioning, while I see what sort of backdrop I can put up on the bench work. Have to admit that I'm more than a little eager to start laying track, putting in some scenery and scratch building/kit bashing some structures.

Appreciate both your and everyone's input!

By the way Larry, I searched around on here but couldn't find anything showing your Slate Creek industrial spur - got a link or anything?
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread