L&N Industrial Rail Spur
faraway wrote:
Options like presorting, engine in the middle, shoving platform, reduced speed are preferred by the prototype over run around.
--------------------------
Ed replied :Not exactly preferred, but rather required due to the nature of the location to be worked. The example I cited in my previous post where we often had to block our cars on both ends of the engine was necessary in order to work that branch. Would have been great if there was a long runaround at the end of the branch, so we could work everything from the "right" direction. The only redeeming factor was there was enough available track space to be able to switch the customers at the end of the branch.
---------------------------

As a note of interest..On the PRR we would simply switch a facing point industry on our return trip rather then making a roll drop-not the same as a flying switch.If it this wasn't possible to do we would make a roll drop after switching out the pickup.

We would avoid shoving cars as much as possible because one of us would need to protect the shove by hanging on the side of the end car and flag crossings.
Picture doing that in the rain,sleet,snow,summer's heat and freezing cold weather.

Another side note.

Ed,I forgot to mention I plan on having at least one crossing that gets blocked during switching moves.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread