Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Justin -

I like the plan - go for it!

Benchwork is cheap compared to say, a brass locomotive or DCC system or even a decent sound decoder. Don't sweat the cost of the benchwork. Bite the bullet and spend what you have to in order to get trains running sooner.

You may want to consider building a simple butt-joint framework of 1x3s with the foam as a top. BUT, by the time you purchase the lumber (and screws), measure, cut and assemble it, you could have used an 18" door and saved some time. The difference in cost is not great so like I said, don't fret over the cost of benchwork. Just don't skimp on stability whatever method you use.

Look, I'm married with two kids and a well-paying career and I only get $30/month plus a cut of whatever 'extra' services I perform (weddings & funerals) as hobby money. Actually, the $30 is 'mad money' to spend however I want. I just don't buy anything not covered by some other money in the budget, or go to Starbucks - I make my own espresso drinks at home! With a limited budget I'm glad to be able to download Model Railroad Hobbyist for FREE, check out Model Railroader from my public library, and I'm not a member of the NMRA. Dues would run me two months worth of hobby money.

So I'm pretty frugal with my hobby spending, prioritizing as much as I can. I'm even debating on whether or not I want to go to the next big train show because inevitably I'll end up spending money I could be saving for the layout. So don't let finances get you down. Do what you can with what you've got, and save up for the rest. Budget your time and money so that you can build the layout in successive stages.

An advantage of a switching layout is being able to get past the benchwork stage relatively quickly and cheaply. My timesaver is only 14" by 5' and the layout top is 1/4" ply I scrounged from an alley on trash day. The framing is all 1x3 I purchased at Lowes or HD...can't remember which. The subroadbed is yardsticks which were free from the same hardware store.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread