Southern Pacific Switching Layout
steinjr Wrote:The main differences seems to be that you

a) have changed the footprint (now you have a shorter L and wider L against the left and top wall instead of a longer and narrower L against the top and right wall in your drawing - you have decided how to fit your layout into your room, right? )

My earlier plan didn't have the correct dimensions for the benchwork, the latest plan has the correct dimensions and well as the correct placement along the walls.

steinjr Wrote:b) you have reintroduced several switchbacks for the industries along the left wall in the drawing, and have no work space to temporarily store cars while switching.

The industrial park I used for inspiration has a few switchbacks like the one I used. The team-track has a stretch of track before it that will be used to store cars, it can hold about 4 cars which is more than enough since each industry will not hold more than about 3-4 cars at a time.

steinjr Wrote:I'd recommend leaving well enough alone and stay with your previous track plan. It was fairly good. If you want fewer trees, just replace the trees in the corner with buildings.

Once I visualized that plan in 3-d I realized that it is too compressed and it is too cluttered, the run-around takes up too much space and overall the plan just doesn't feel right. But I hate to get into another track-plan discussion so I use this plan for now, and then if I don't like it I will change back to my previous plan. Thanks for the help anyways! Thumbsup
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)

Messages In This Thread