Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Russ Bellinis Wrote:That is probably the end of construction. On my first layout, once I got enough track down to run some trains around, I would go out to the garage to work on the layout, spend 3 hours running trains, and need to go to bed. Time would fly and I never did get around to finishing it or doing any scenery!
You sound too much like me Russ! Over the years, I've built at least 10 layouts in several scales and with different themes based on what interested me at the time and none of them ever got much past the train running stage! Once the track was laid and wired and I could start operating the layout, about the only scenery that was ever placed on the layout would be a few structures.

I've wasted a year since I retired, trying to settle on an interesting track plan and theme and like Justin, have gone from one plan/theme to another and still not accomplished anything!

Whatever I end up doing, I'm determined that this layout is going to at least get a finished look although I'm going to use the "good enough" approach and then if I'm happy with the results, I'll come back an put more detail on it as the mood strikes.

So Justin; I say go with one of your plans (the latest is a nice simple yet realistic one) - get the track laid and wired and start operating it. The scenery and structure construction will provide plenty of enjoyment and doesn't have to be rushed. If after you get it to an operation stage and you aren't happy with the theme - then start again with something else. I know that you've been told this before, but as you get older, your life will change as will your modeling interests. Each layout you build will be a learning experience and as Bil said - "... a model railroad is never "finished!" There is always something else to do that will make it better in one way or another."
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread