The Hjemstad Line
Today I finally did something I've been thinking about for a very long time; getting my old layout sections out of storage and incorporating them into the layout! I've been somewhat skeptical about having a peninsula on my layout, as the room is quite narrow, but I figured I will never know for sure until I try. So today I wiped off some cobwebs from the sections and built a simple frame for them to rest on, and here's the result of today's work:

[Image: wp20150801001_w1200.jpg]

[Image: wp20150801002_w1200.jpg]

[Image: wp20150801003_w1200.jpg]

The last pic shows how I removed part of the small module below the window to recess the end of the first section, I deliberately built the module the exact same width as the old sections with this in mind. The section is resting on the bottom half of the module to ensure that the track is level with the rest of the layout, and fastened to the two adjacent modules with bolts, washers and wingnuts.

There's still some work left before the peninsula is operational though; the old control panel have to be reconnected, and there's some tracklaying to tie the peninsula with the rest of the layout.

Messages In This Thread