The Hjemstad Line
After a lot of thinking back and forth, I finally concluded that a duck-under was never going to be a satisfying solution, and so yesterday I modified the middle section and built a lift-out instead.

Here's what it looked like before; with a section joint and four turnouts for the staging yard ladder right in the middle of the doorway, it wasn't the easiest task to figure out where to make the cuts for the lift-out:
[Image: wp20150808001_w1200.jpg]

First I planned to remove 50 cm (20") from the middle section and 25 cm (10") from the corner section, making the lift-out 75 cm (30") long, but after making the first 50 cm cut I realized that it was sufficient. A little tight but doable, and it saved me the work of removing the corner section and making another cut. Also, I was able to re-use the cut off part from the middle section as the lift-out piece, saving myself even more work! The line for the proposed cut on the corner section to the right is clearly visible, but luckily it turned out to be unnecessary. This solution also cut the staging yard ladder in half, with two turnouts on the lift-out and the other two on the corner section:
[Image: wp20150808002_w1200.jpg]

After cutting and fitting a new end piece for the middle section, I made 4 small cleats (two on each side) to support the lift-out in the correct height:
[Image: wp20150808003_w1200.jpg]

There's still some work left before the lift-out is complete, as I have to make sure it locks in the correct position every time, and I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Messages In This Thread