The Hjemstad Line
Progress is still slow here, but finally I'm done with the woodworking and painting for a while. Now the fun part can begin; tracklaying and wiring!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to soldering, and spent over an hour prepping and wiring the first turnout. Here's a pic of my rather messy workbench this evening:

[Image: 1284_w1200.jpg]

I'm using Peco code 75 Electrofrog turnouts with PL-10W motors and PL-13 accessory switches. I haven't built the control panel yet, but figured it was a good idea to finish all the wiring at the workbench. I also cut out a piece of thin black cardboard and placed under the turnout to hide the motor and the hole in the benchwork:

[Image: 1286_w1200.jpg]

Since I'm using Electrofrog turnouts, I removed the connection between the points and the closure rails (to the right in the pic below), and soldered feeders directly to the stock rails and closure rails. The frog wil be fed through the purple wire shown in the above pic, which connects to the PL-13 switch:

[Image: 1289_w1200.jpg]

Funny enough; after I finished painting the framework and set up my soldering tools to prepare for the wiring, my girlfriend's interest in my layout suddenly got a boost. She put her embroidery aside and spent the afternoon browsing the web after pics of the model A Ford, looking for inspiration for the Jordan models she wants to build for me! And tomorrow she wants to go shopping for some paint and brushes, what more can a guy ask for!? Big Grin

Svein

Messages In This Thread