Poll: Do You run DC or DCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DC
32.69%
17 32.69%
DCC
63.46%
33 63.46%
Arm chair
3.85%
2 3.85%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DC/DCC
You're partially right, I suppose. The layout is a single block, but I can kill sidings if I wish to park a loco somewhere - it's not particularly complicated, though. To put it in the context of DCC, it would've been more work (and expense) for me to run a bus line around the layout to ensure reliable operation were I using DCC. As it is, there's a pair of wires from the power source to the tracks - pretty simple. Goldth
I don't need multiple train control - there's only one operator, so there's only one train moving at a time. I spend a lot of time and effort re-building locomotives and rolling stock, and there's absolutely no way that something's going to be running somewhere on the layout when I'm not right there beside it to savour every aspect of it. Goldth

The lights don't dim or brighten with the throttle simply because I don't use operating lights - in my modelling era they weren't illuminated in the daytime, but even if they had been prototypical, I would have removed them - it's simply a feature that doesn't interest me. On second thought, it's a feature that I don't want in my locos - I spent too many years servicing or building locos for people who wanted lights, and I really grew to dislike that aspect of the hobby. They look fine on someone else's locos, but to me, they're a nuisance.

Another aspect of the DC/DCC discussion not mentioned much here (although I have seen a lot of talk about it elsewhere) is track cleaning. From what I've read, trouble-free operation in DCC is very-much influenced by the cleanliness of the track. I have just under 200' of mainline in service, with another 60'-or-so yet to be built. If I had to clean all that track (and probably that much again if staging tracks, passing tracks, and sidings were included) I'd remove the layout - I retired so I wouldn't have to work on stuff I don't enjoy. Icon_lol Icon_lol

I can't imagine any scenario that would compel me to switch to DCC, but I don't have any problem if someone else chooses to do so. Wink Goldth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread