Bridge at Mason Park
Okay, while the plaster and glue is drying on the other bridge,figured I would get a start on this one. I never really liked deck girder bridges, but when I saw this one, I really liked it. It's got alot of character with the concrete segments on the ends, and the big concrete piers that are perched atop the steel pipes.

Here is one of the transition piers for the concrete to girder transitions. The little steel pipes holding this whole thing up just don't seem like a good idea to me. Notice the channel iron from pipe to pipe near the water.

Another part I am looking forward to modeling is the old pilings left from the original trestle:

I am wondering about the concrete octagons laying on the bank. They are the same size and shape as the concrete pilings, but in distinct sections - these aren't just broken pieces. Surely the pilings being used aren't made of these short segments bonded together? I can't see any obvious lines on the real pilings which would indicate that. So the question is, why are these short segments here?

Okay: Spent some time last night getting started. Took a Central Valley 72 foot Thru-girder bridge I had on hand and spliced the girders together to make the length close to the prototype at nearly 90 feet. Also modified the ends to get rid of the curves on the CV kit. Then built up the transition supports from sheet styrene, and made the concrete segments from sheet and strip.

They don't make octagonal shaped styrene in a big enough size for the columns, so I'll take some .250 square styrene and shave the corners down. Not sure how to do that accurately, but will figure out something. Here's a photo of the pieces set together to see how she is looking:

Oh... I won't be doing the graffiti!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread