Bridge at Mason Park
Gary S Wrote:David, this bayou would see only recreational boating traffic, and not much of that. I'm certain that in the past, there was small barge traffic, but no longer. I guess that they went with the girder so they wouldn't have to drive pilings in the deep portion of the bayou.

There is also the possibility that the girder bridge/concrete and steel supports,are original and only the wood trestle was replaced. That would explain why no concrete pilings under the bridge, and why the octagonal pilings had to be cut. The cables, vice rebar, would indicate the octagonal pilings are prestressed. These are cast in one length, and excess is cut off at the construction site, and the concrete cross member cast over and around the cut tops, in the same manner as with the steel pipes.
The hardest part of this project will be reproducing all that graffiti.........then again, you did get all the rust spots on the first bridge.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread