Coming in from the cold
Hey everyone

I need some input on a small room layout. I am getting older and my hands don't work as well in the cold as they once did. That being the case, I have been 'given' a room in our house instead of the garage. The catch is I have to build a Murphy Bed as the room I am taking is the former "Guest Room". Actually the real reason my wife gave up the space was because we had a full sized bed in there and it was a bit tight for the guests, so I get it. Anything to come in from the cold garage... especially now since snow is forecast for this weekend.

I had a 9 x 11 layout started at our other house and it didn't make the move a year ago very well. Last fall, I put it back together again but then the cold weather hit and the trains sat unused at home until the late spring. Oh, they ran at the club... but there is something about running trains at your own place...

I have been given the smallest room in the house save for the laundry alcove. it is 9 x 12. The room is in the basement and has one window, but that won't come into play as it is so dang high. But there are two doors to the room. One main entry and the other is to a Jack and Jill bathroom. I did a quick and ugly drawing to show you what I have to work with.

[Image: room.jpg]

I know I want a continuous run and two trains at once would be very nice. (Having a pal over every so often to run is fun) If I took my 9 x 11 and cut out 2 feet per side to make it square, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But that could seriously cut into my industries I wanted. I don't think I need to use the bathroom door, as I can exit the room and cut thru my 5 yr old's room... but in a few years, she might not like that.

I can think of about 5 or 6 layouts that are continuous loops with enough space for me and someone else to sit on bar stools and do some minor switching and watching trains roll. As if all this weren't enough to ponder, a friend gave me a 90ft turn table and a 3 bay round house and I would love to use it, but I just cannot figure a way to do so with so limited a space and keep what I want.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]

Messages In This Thread