Ann Arbor RR Mt. Pleasant Branch
Working on a college campus, the May graduation season leaves little time for modeling. I have however started construction on two Rix Products highway bridges that will serve as a visual end to my Huron and Eastern Railroad HO shelf layout.

The bridges collectively form the southbound and northbound lanes carrying traffic on I-75 over the HESR’s Wenona Yard. While the prototype does pass below several concrete bridges and Interstate 75, I’ve taken a bit of modeler’s license to move the highway to the Kawkawlin yard scene.

The bridges are structurally complete at this time, but have yet to be weathered and installed on the layout. I plan to finish scenery work beneath them before their final installation. I am still considering the addition of a mirror at the end of the yard tracks to suggest a larger yard.

To fit the bridge into the scene I've curved the rear edge of the lanes on the right to match the background's coved corner. The extreme right lane is also trimmed to allow for the trim strip to fit.

Overall, I'm happy with the appearance of the bridges, although I wish I had left enough space to create a proper dirt abutment.

[Image: 13997990169_1484916bf0_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout I-75 Overpass by dangaken, on Flickr

[Image: 13998015008_48c5ed2478_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout I-75 Overpass by dangaken, on Flickr

Messages In This Thread