Ann Arbor RR Mt. Pleasant Branch
I was able to spend some time this weekend prepping the area that will become the engine facility at the end of my layout. It represents the prototype's facilities in the Kawkawlin / Bay City Wenona Yard.

The final scene will have an engine shed with a single track, a second track for locomotive servicing (with a sanding tower and fuel pad), and an adjacent three track yard. At the yard throat will be a small yard office (the prototype has a concrete block structure, I'll be using BLMA's metal sided office as a stand in).

To begin construction in the area I put a single sheet of HO scale cork beneath the area and laid the track. I then used the Woodland Scenics foam tape to block off the area to be paved. This included the engine shed, the two tracks to the locomotive service area and the shed, and a space between the two areas that will support the engine service equipment. Woodland Scenics Smooth It was then poured into the area. As the material began to set I used a variety of styrene strips to work it into all areas and then to smooth the top surface. By running a strip across the tops of the rails and then inside the web I was able to create a space for wheel flanges to pass.

Here is the area prepped for the pour:
[Image: 14347485028_64109911a3.jpg]HESR Engine Facility - Before Pour by dangaken, on Flickr

Here is the area after the pour:
[Image: 14347604137_6931573199.jpg]HESR Engine Facility - After Pour by dangaken, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the actual prototype facility - as you can see, there is a healthy amount of modeler's license taken to allow this to fit into my layout's foot print.
[Image: 4490491669_7e78d3031a.jpg]HESR Wenona Shops by dangaken, on Flickr

[Image: 4490510161_a7c7e3a98b.jpg]HESR Wenona Shops by dangaken, on Flickr

Messages In This Thread