Bridge at South Wayside
While I'm proud to be among Gary's devoted followers, and learning from his methods just like everyone else here, I think that many are overlooking a very important aspect of this thread. Gary has alluded to it several times in the past, but I don't recall anyone commenting on the fact that most of these bridge-building threads are "first attempts".
Yeah, I know that he's gained experience with the earlier bridges, and it's easy to see his skills developing as we watch each new one "come to life". However, the initial one was a case of just jumping in and doing it. Each subsequent one was built on the success of the previous build, and each pushes the envelope further, and each still requires that "let's do it!" attitude. I think that lesson is equally as important as all the construction tips included in each thread, and, of course, all the demonstrative photos.
So thanks, Gary, for showing us that while the planning is important, the "doing" is even more so. And for showing all of us (not just the neophytes) that, to "get it done", we need to "do it". You may be surprised at what you achieve on your first attempt, but, on subsequent projects, that surprise will give way to a simple sense of satisfaction.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread