TPBO
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I would build something similar to Jack Hill's track-plan
Here is an example of Jack's plan in your area:
[Image: FCINplan.jpg?t=1291356096]
It is nice, simple, and there is plenty of room for scenery Thumbsup
Justin - like the track plan. You've got talent! I like what Jack Hill is doing - simple yet prototypical with a nice amount of operation and doesn't try to put track on every square inch of the benchwork. I've toyed some with doing something similar to this myself.

Herc Driver Wrote:Just maybe a better idea is to start "big" and work to "small"?
What I mean is start with google-earth, pick a city, and start looking for rail yards and lines...maybe something you see there might spark an idea and give you a starting place to work from. You want to model Chicago? LA? Houston? Newark? Miami? Boise? Seattle? Take a look at several cities and the ideas might jump out at you.

Gosh Mark, I've spend hours and hours on Google/Bing looking at various areas looking for the "ideal" industrial spur or branch not to mention actually getting out and going to look at a few locations in my area! I've found some really interesting ones that I could use, but just can't seem to pick one and go with it!

Here are some industrial spurs that I've located that interest me one way or another and are all former L&N operations:
Lynch Rd Evansville IN: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.01...5&t=h&z=17 Really like this one, but as you can see, it would have to be really straightened out to fit my benchwork and I tend to get hung up on trying to keep the track arrangements as close to the prototype as I can. If this industrial spur were straightened out, it would lose its character in my mind so that's why I've decided to freelance whatever I end up doing.

Also found a couple of really interesting industrial spurs in Marietta GA. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.97...7&t=h&z=18 First is the spur that crosses Industrial Park Dr twice and then move northeast of that one and there is another interesting one that runs parallel to I-75. The first one includes the Coca-Cola bottling plant that is one industry I'm going to include on my layout for all those corn syrup tank cars I have!

Also there is the Effingham Railroad in Effingham, IL.http://www.efrr.com/ A short line serving an industrial park and a line I've visited several times since it started up in 1996. Interesting operation, but again would have to be straightened out a lot to fit my benchwork - but it is workable and I've made a track plan or two that would more or less capture the "feel" of the EFRR. Here's a PDF file showing the track arrangement of the prototype: http://www.efrr.com/EFRR%20Site%20Layout.pdf. I even own a switcher in their paint scheme which was adopted from the Chicago Great Western, although it's an NW-2 rather than a SW-1200, but what the heck...

Herc Driver Wrote:Another idea is to decide on the exact measurements of your layout. That will force you to think only "inside the box" and really see the area you have to work with.
Well this part is done. Layout foot print is 18in x 20ft with room to add a 6ft "staging" track if desired, but I'm trying to more or less stick with the main dimensions of 18in x 20ft. The benchwork is all in place and as I mentioned I have some temporary track down on it now, but am hung up on really getting started.

Herc Driver Wrote:And while you're at it, cut paper or use some boxes to mimic the buildings or building-ideas you want to add. You'll need room for that grain silo, or transfer building, or big industry. Maybe by "seeing" the buildings on the layout, that will force some track planning ideas to come to life.

This is something that I really need and want to do. I have quite a few structures that I've acquired over the years, but doesn't look like I'll be using any of them and am eager to scratch build some of those "shoe box" warehouses, etc. Putting some boxes of appropriate size on the layout is a good idea so will see if that helps. I can see a lot of this stuff in my mind and have found examples of real structures that I'd like to include, but it would help to get a better idea of how they'd fit my plan.

Anyway, I appreciate your input guys. Maybe I should just step back, take a deep breath and put this on hold for a while.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread